As I speak to some of my patients, I have realized that some of the general public is confused on why you would need an adjustment when there is no pain. First we need to understand why any joint should be adjusted if it is pain free. With routine daily activities, (driving, sitting at a computer, house chores, etc.) in time the soft tissues (muscles, ligaments, discs, tendons, fascia) slowly begin to fatigue and fail.
1. Muscles go into a contractile state with acute or chronic overuse, pain or not.
2. Acute and/or chronic inflammatory chemicals flow into your muscles and other soft tissues, and they do not always cause pain but they begin to build up.
3. Acute and/or chronic inflammatory chemicals get trapped in your muscles and other soft tissues, and they do not always cause pain but they begin to build up.
4. Soft tissue adhesions begin to form ( starting in 4 days of lack of proper motion) and tighten the tissues.
5. All of these led to a decrease in proper joint motion, whether it is your lowback, neck, shoulder, ankle etc. the same mechanism is occurring.
Then the adjustment!
The benefits of the adjustment
1. Restores motion-both symmetry and range of motion
2. Normalize biomechanics and load distribution of the joints
3. Pumps out wast products and endematous fluid that had been trapped
4. Improves blood flow, thus nutrition to the discs and articular cartilage
5. Relaxes tight muscles
6. Normalizes proprioception-position sense and kinesthesia
7. Stimulates sensory-motor reflexes which improve dynamic muscular stabilization of joints
8. Accelerates healing-as movement:
A. increases metabolic rate of injured tissues
B. increases collagen and protein production as the damaged tissue repairs
9. Improves the alignment of new connective tissue to strengthen the soft tissue.
10. Thoracic spine adjustments aid in improving your ability to breath
11. You feel amazing afterwards!!
Note: This is just the beginning of all the reasons one gets adjusted as every part of your body functions at a higher level after a Chiropractic adjustment.